While planning your perfect St. Croix wedding, don’t forget about the legal paperwork! Here is the information on what you’ll need to apply for and receive your marriage license:
Submitting the Application:
We suggest you submit your application to the court one month in advance if you are mailing your documents or two weeks in advance if you are submitting them in person. The following documents are required for application:
- Application for Marriage License
- License and Certificate of Marriage
- $100 application fee, non-refundable (payable by certified check or money order; cash is only accepted if paying in person)
- A letter detailing date of arrival on St. Croix, length of stay, and desired date of ceremony. (not necessary if applying in person)
- If either applicant is divorced, include a certified copy of all applicable divorce decrees.
- If either applicant is widowed, include a certified copy of all applicable death certificates.
Mail to: Superior Court United States Virgin Islands – Family Division, PO Box 929, Christiansted, VI 00821Apply in person at: The R.H. Amphlett Leader Justice Center located on Centerline Road in Kingshill.
Posting of Application:
There is an 8 day waiting period required before the court will issue a marriage license. During this time, the application is posted for public review.
Examination of Applicants :
Both applicants are required to appear together before the Clerk of the Court, or her designee, to be examined under oath before the marriage license can be issued. Valid identification is required. Please note: there is no physical examination or blood test required.
Court Fees :
- $100 application fee
- $100 license fee
- $400 if you wish for a judge to perform the marriage
- $3.00 per certified copy
- Monday – Friday: 8 am – 5 pm, excluding holidays (please note that the cashier is only open 8:15 am – 3:00 pm)
- Saturday: For a fee of $150 you can pre-arrange for the court to be open (excludes Carnival Saturday)
- Sunday and Holidays: For a fee of $150 you can pre-arrange for the court to be open from 9:30 -10:30 am.
We strongly suggest calling the Superior Court prior to sending in your documents to check that you have the most up to date forms, fees, procedures and cashier hours. (340) 778-9750