- Don’t look for perfection. It is almost impossible to find the perfect house, and it is also just as rare for any buyer to walk straight into a home and say its perfect in every way. Instead when looking at a house think of how you would make changes to the things you don’t like in order to create the home that is right for you.
- Purchase a life, not an address. It doesn’t matter how lovely a home is, if it doesn’t fit your lifestyle it will not make you happy in the long run. If you are a walker, a captivating house close to the city’s center would not be a good match. If you love cooking, an attractive house with a small galley kitchen will ultimately disappoint. Or, if you love entertaining friends and family, a home without decks, a large yard, and a lot of room to fit guests will end up frustrating to you. Know what is most important to you in your lifestyle and shop accordingly.
- Include new furniture inside your costs. Frequently, a brand new house feels like a brand new start, so you will want new furniture to fill all those lovely rooms. Take this into account when you calculate your home buying costs. If money is an issue when you are selecting between two houses, choosing the one which will accommodate your current furniture would be a smarter choice.
- Choose a floor plan, not the finishes. You can change the finishes in a house, such as tile, paint and counter tops, at a lower price than altering the floor plan. Select a house with a dining area, kitchen, and living space which are the best size for your daily life, then tweak the finishes later.
- Don’t choose a house solely as an investment. For most of us, a house is also a home – a source of comfort, safety, happiness, entertainment and well-being. A home which is a great financial investment is only a good choice if it also satisfies your need for home comforts as well.
Moving is one of the most stressful situations a person can be in during their lifetime, making it even more important that you choose a home that will make you happy with the decision you made to move. Take your time, look at all your options, and make sure your real estate agent knows what you are looking for in a home. Good luck, and happy hunting!
– Written by Coldwell Bank St. Croix Realty, Edited by Jennie Ogden
A Leader in Listings and Sales on St. Croix! Let the unmatched knowledge and expertise of our Coldwell Banker St. Croix Realty agents guide you through completing your next home purchase right here in America’s Paradise. Our team’s expert and vast knowledge of the residential and commercial St. Croix market will help with easy navigation through your purchase…
- St. Croix Home in Luxury Auction
- Shopping for Your St. Croix Home
- Choosing a Rental House on St. Croix