Coming to St. Croix for the day? With ferries and the seaplane bringing passengers from St. Thomas directly to Christiansted, St. Croix makes for a great day trip. Both the ferry and seaplane terminals are walking distance from town, so no rental car is needed. If you’ve never been to St. Croix, it has a different vibe than the other US Virgin Islands. While quieter and more laid-back than St. Thomas, Christiansted still offers lots of things to do for those visiting for even just a day.
Christiansted is a historical town that was a bustling international port city in the second half of the 1700s. While you can still visit Fort Christiansvaern and many historic sites around town, you will also find newly renovated restaurants and businesses, unique boutiques and galleries, and fun water sports, tours and activities. Here are a few things we recommend:
Tours & Activities
- Visit Buck Island Reef National Monument and snorkel the underwater trail
- Taste your way through Christiansted while learning about Crucian history and culture on a Virgin Islands Food Tour
- Book an Alexander Hamilton’s Christiansted Walking Tour with CHANT
- Tour the Christiansted National Historic Site including Fort Christianvaern, the Scale House, Danish Custom House, the Steeple Building, and the Danish West Indie & Guinea Company Warehouse
- Try locally distilled Mutiny Island Vodka at the Sion Farm Distillery tasting room on the boardwalk
- Go boat diving with one of the Christiansted dive shops
- Try your luck at the Caravelle Casino
- Go parasailing
- Arrange a private boat charter with Caribbean Sea Adventures or Big Beard’s Adventure Tours
- Head to Hotel on the Cay in Christiansted Harbor and lounge on the beach, snorkel or spend the day floating
- Find fun fashions, accessories and keepsakes at Christiansted’s boutiques
- Visit artisan jewelry shops offering unique, handmade jewelry and get your own Crucian Hook bracelet
- Check out paintings, sculptures, glassworks and photography by local artists
Eat & Drink
- Enjoy a view of Christiansted Harbor while dining at a restaurant on the boardwalk
- Grab a cup of coffee and a pastry from a local coffee shop
- Dine in one of the many historic buildings in town updated to offer air conditioning or courtyard dining
- Sip a cocktail featuring locally made Cruzan or Captain Morgan rums, or Mutiny Island Vodka, or try a Leatherback Brewing Company beer from any local restaurant or bar
While we would love for visitors to see the whole island of St. Croix, you can’t really experience it all in one day. If you are coming over on the ferry for example, you’ll have about 5-6 hours (not taking into account any travel time to get to and from other parts of the island). If you would like an inclusive introduction to the diversity of St. Croix, we recommend taking an island tour. If you want to spend the day in Frederiksted and the West End, we recommend taking taking a regular flight to the Henry E. Rohlsen Airport. To find out all the fun things to do in a day on the West End, North Shore, or East End, please read more in our blog.
Welcome to St. Croix, island hoppers! We hope you enjoy your time here on our hidden gem. Please #gotostcroix on photos you share to social media so we can see what you love about St. Croix.