Coming to St. Croix for the day? With multiple daily flights bringing visitors to the Henry E. Rohlson Airport, St. Croix makes for a great day trip and there are plenty of taxis on standby at the airport to bring travelers to Frederiksted. If you’ve never been to St. Croix, it has a different vibe than the other US Virgin Islands. While quieter and more laid-back than St. Thomas, Frederiksted offers lots of things to do for those visiting for even just a day.
Frederiksted was built in the 1700’s on the leeward side of St. Croix for calm seas and a naturally deep port. It is home to the Frederiksted Pier, St. Croix’s cruise ship port and a world-class dive site, as well as Fort Frederik. Frederiksted is often referred to as ‘Freedom City’ by locals because it was the site of the emancipation of slaves in the then-Danish West Indies in 1848. Modern Frederiksted offers an even slower pace than Christiansted, except for during the Crucian Christmas Festival (St. Croix’s carnival) in December/January.
Ready to explore Frederiksted and the calm West End of St. Croix? Here are a few things we recommend:
Things To Do…
- Take a Gecko’s Original Island Tour and ATV through the rainforest
- Rent a jet ski from West End Water Sports at Rainbow Beach
- Rent gear from a local dive shop and snorkel or dive the Frederiksted Pier
- Dine at one of great restaurants offering a waterfront view
- Buy a Beach Pass at Sand Castle’s on the Beach and enjoying lounging in chairs beachside, or use their pool and facilities
- Take a historic walking tour of Frederiksted with CHANT
- Go horseback riding through the rainforest and on the beach with Cruzan Cowgirls
- Shop at unique boutiques like Franklin’s on the Waterfront, Molly’s and Ahhh Fine Resort Wear
- Sip a cocktail featuring locally made Cruzan or Captain Morgan rums, or Mutiny Island Vodka, or try a Leatherback Brewing Company beer from any local restaurant or bar
- Go Hobie trimaran kayak sailing or try a Stepper-SUP with Island Kayak Sailing Adventures
While we would love for visitors to see the whole island of St. Croix, you can’t really experience it all in one day. If you are coming over on the ferry for example, you’ll have about 5-6 hours (not taking into account any travel time to get to and from other parts of the island). If you would like an inclusive introduction to the diversity of St. Croix, we recommend taking an island tour. Or, make taxi arrangements to get you to and from the terminal to one of these activities near the West End:
- Visit the St. George Village Botanical Gardens
- Head to Mount Victory Camp for some hiking in the rainforest
- Taste a flight at the Leatherback Brewing Company (near the airport)
- Hike to the Annaly Bay Tidepools from the Carambola Beach Resort
If you want to spend the day in Christiansted, we recommend taking the ferry that lands at Gallows Bay, or a seaplane flight. To find out all the fun things to do in a day in Christiansted, on the North Shore or East End, please read more in our blog.
Welcome to St. Croix, island hoppers! We hope you enjoy your time here on our hidden gem. Please #gotostcroix on photos you share to social media so we can see what you love about St. Croix.