Big news! Island hopping between the US Virgin Islands just got easier. Native Son Ferry now offers high-speed ferry service between St. Thomas and St. Croix 3 days per week, with plans for scheduled service to St. John, too!
Do you recognize the Native Son company name? Regarded by many as the pioneer of professional ferry service in the Virgin Islands, Native Son Ferry has operated service between St. Thomas and Tortola since 1977. Thanks to all the interest they’ve been getting from people wanting to get to St. Croix from St. Thomas and St. John, they have expanded to include regular service from St. Thomas to St. Croix.
With Native Son’s new service operating on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, visitors from St. Thomas can easily visit St. Croix for a day or a weekend getaway. (Conversely, St. Croix residents and visitors have another way to get to St. Thomas.)
It’s just a two hour ferry ride, which you can experience in air-conditioned comfort inside, or outside on the sun deck with fresh air – both options provide spectacular views throughout your journey.
Upon landing on St. Croix, you can easily walk from the Gallows Bay Ferry Terminal to historic downtown Christiansted (or it’s a super short taxi ride). In Christiansted you will discover one of the most charming Caribbean towns with it’s own National Park, great restaurants, shopping, tours, scuba diving, historic attractions and the waterfront boardwalk.
From Christiansted, you can also take a taxi to other great spots all across the island, including Frederiksted on St. Croix’s West End, North Shore or the East End.
Ready to explore St. Croix? There are so many things to do!
For a day trip to St. Croix, here are some ideas for a fun day.
- Visit one of our National Parks or Historic Sites
- Take a Guided Tour – on foot, by car, or even safari bus
- Shop in our locally owned boutiques, galleries and jewelry stores
- Tour St. Croix’s Distilleries and Breweries and sample locally produced rum, vodka and beer
- Enjoy a Beach day at a resort or a secluded spot
Planning to spend a few days… well that gives you more options.
- Book a stay at one of St. Croix’s hotels (rental homes and condos are also available, but ask if a minimum 2-3 night stay is required)
- Rent a car and drive the island’s scenic roads
- Go Scuba Diving – it’s world class on St. Croix, a great place to try it.
- Play a round of Golf or go Hiking
- Go Horseback Riding
- Book your trip to Buck Island and snorkel the underwater trail
- Go Sport Fishing off-shore or inshore charters.
- Taste the local cuisine at our Restaurants
- Book a Sailing and Snorkeling trip or Kayak tour
- Choose from a variety of Water Sports
- Check out our Interests Guides for even more ideas
St. Croix is quite diverse, with activities and experiences for everyone in your group. We recommend visiting our 100 Things To Do on St. Croix page for even more suggestions.
We look forward to welcoming Native Son Ferry passengers to St. Croix – for the day or for a weekend. We hope you’ll take advantage of this new service and come experience St. Croix for yourself!
-Jennie Ogden, Editor
Book Online Now!
Native Son Ferry is regarded by many as the pioneer of professional ferry service in the Virgin Islands. Since 1977, the management and staff of this elite ferry company have operated with a high degree of pride and efficiency. Native Son is now offering convenient and affordable service on Fridays and Sundays between Charlotte Amalie,…
- Day Trip to St. John
- Weekend Getaway to St. Croix
- Day Trip to Christiansted
- Native Son Ferry to St. Croix
- St. Croix’s Island Hopping Options