Healthcare is a necessity of life, and is therefore one of the first things most of us establish when relocating to a new place. In the Caribbean, the quality and availability of medical care can vary drastically from island to island. The good news for anyone living on St. Croix, or anyone considering moving here, is that the island is home to a new state-of-the-art facility offering a full spectrum of healthcare services. Plessen Healthcare’s team of licensed physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses and staff are taking new patients and providing quality healthcare right here on St. Croix.
Our deeply committed team of physicians and nurse practitioners offer a wide range of general services and internal medicine sub-specialties dedicated to chronic disease prevention. Our goal is to provide healthcare management systems that prevent chronic disease, slow the progression of existing conditions while providing high quality care and facilities for all stages of chronic diseases. We provide both traditional preventative treatments as well as holistic approaches for comprehensive care that addresses early prevention.
Founded by Dr. Jan Tawakol and Dr. Tasnim Khan, Plessen Healthcare and Plessen Medical Group are working to improve local healthcare on St. Croix and to attract medical tourism to the island. I was fortunate enough to get a chance to sit down with Dr. Tawakol to talk about this new facility, and it was obvious from our conversation that he is passionate about bringing better and more affordable healthcare services to St. Croix. In fact, the Plessen clinic is not only committed to providing quality medical services to existing residents, but also hopes to attract new residents who require that same level of quality healthcare services. With a new facility and an expanding patient base, Plessen hopes to also attract more specialized medical professionals to St. Croix which will expand the medical services available here on the island.
Plessen Medical Group provides adult primary care, women’s health services, and general health maintenance services, but the clinic also specializes in internal medicine and management of chronic illnesses like hypertension and kidney disease. Plessen also offers a host of subspecialties, including: Nephrology, Interventional Nephrology, Hypertension, Electrolyte Disturbances, Acute & Chronic Kidney Disease, Dialysis Access Care, 24 hour Blood Pressure Monitoring, and Spirometry Lung Function Testing. The facility also includes an optical shop and a fully accredited Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC), which is currently offering much needed ophthalmologic services. They started the ASC with an emphasis on cataract and glaucoma procedures in order to address a backlog of almost 800 residents in the USVI needing “urgent eye surgery”. The ASC was also recently approved to perform vascular surgery, and Plessen has plans to expand and offer other specialized surgeries in the near future.
If you are looking for an efficient and committed healthcare provider, Plessen is the best place to start. Here are some important facts you should know about Plessen Healthcare and some of the special services they offer:
- Plessen accepts Medicare and most major insurance. For those with little or no insurance, Plessen does offer patient financing support.
- The Plessen Medical Group and ASC are centrally located just outside of downtown Christiansted in the lower level of the Government Employee Retirement System Building in Golden Rock.
- Plessen is set up to be a Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH). For those not familiar with this concept, it is a care delivery model that allows patient treatment to be coordinated and centralized through a primary care physician to ensure that you receive the necessary care when and where you need it. Basically, this means Plessen will coordinate and keep your medical records from all of your doctors and specialists, schedule recurring appointments or lab work, provide referrals, and more.
- For those traveling to St. Croix for treatment at Plessen, they will arrange transportation to and from the seaport or airport for your convenience.
- The Plessen medical staff offers House Calls to hotels that partner with them, currently The Buccaneer and Chenay Bay Beach Resort.
Now that you have decided to visit Plessen for yourself, how do you go about making an appointment to set up your healthcare? Dr. Tawakol offered some very helpful suggestions to make your patient transition into the Plessen Medical Group seamless. Whether you are a resident of St. Croix, or you will be traveling to the island for medical care, here are a few tips to get you started:
- Contact Plessen Medical Group ahead of time so that they can provide you with the proper Medical Record Release and Patient Registration forms, and get you set up as a patient in their electronic system. To contact Plessen call (340) 227-4255 or visit their website at www.plessenhealthcare.com/contact.html.
- Have your doctor’s office(s) fax your medical records/history to Plessen on their HIPPA compliant fax line at (949) 222-2719, where it will be saved directly into your electronic patient file.
- Schedule your first appointment a couple of weeks in advance so that the Plessen staff can provide you with paperwork to get any necessary lab work done, and have the results submitted back to the Plessen Medical Group, before your first appointment.
You only get one body and one life, so your health should be your number one priority. Whether you were born and raised on St. Croix, you are moving to the island, or you are willing to travel for quality medical care here in the Caribbean, Plessen Healthcare will take excellent care of you. Take charge of your health and schedule your appointment with Plessen today.
– Jennie Ogden, Editor
Plessen Medical Group is a new health center providing a deeply committed team of physicians and nurse practitioners that offers the following services: adult primary care, women’s health care, internal medicine, hypertension and diabetes management, treatment for all stages of kidney disease, 24 hour blood pressure monitoring for...